Karnataka Common Entrance Exam (KCET) is a state-level entrance exam for admission into engineering, agriculture and pharmacy streams across Karnataka. KCET 2020 exam was scheduled to be conducted from April 22, 2020 to April 24, 2020 this year. Now, it has been postponed due to the Corona virus outbreak. This article sheds light on the essential details you must know before attending KCET 2020. Let’s dive in!
Karnataka Common Entrance Exam (KCET) is the common entrance exam conducted by Karnataka Examination Authority (KEA) every year for Karnataka students to get into various Karnataka colleges for the courses in Engineering, Architecture, Pharma, Agricultural (Farm Sciences) and Veterinary fields. It is an offline exam conducted for a series of days in the month of April. It is attended by many students in 400+ test centers in 54 locations of the state every year.
KCET is a reputed exam. So, every year you can see the number growing for the applications. Here’s the statistics about the past year participations:
|Year||No. of students applied||No. of students appeared|
|2019||1.94 lakh||1.8 lakh|
|2018||1.98 lakh||1.53 lakh|
|2017||1.79 lakh||1.5 lakh|
|2016||1.78 lakh||1.71 lakh|
|2015||1.57 lakh||1.53 lakh|
- The admitted age is 17 for a candidate or at least one must turn 17 before 31st January of the admitting year.
- Candidates must have qualified 2nd PUC/12th Std or an Equivalent grade with a minimum of 45% Marks.
NO. KCET is only for Karnataka students.
NO. Along with KCET, B. Arch aspirants must have written the NATA exam too.
KCET is conducted in a series of days. Here is the detailed schedule:
|Day 1||Biology / Mathematics||60||80 mins|
|Day 2||Physics & Chemistry||120||150 mins|
- Students can opt for either Biology or Maths on day 1.
- Each question carries 1 mark.
- No negative marking.
- Karnataka language test will be conducted for Horanadu & Gadinadu Kannadiga students the following day. This test has 50 MCQs for 50 Marks and it happens only in Bangalore.
The questions will be asked from the syllabus of PUC I & II.
Many colleges in Karnataka take admissions based on KCET Score. Some of them are:
- Christ University
- RV College of Engineering
- BMS College of Engineering
- Ramaiah Institute of Technology
- Bangalore Institute of Technology
- PES Institute of Technology
- National Institute of Engineering
- Acharya Institute of Technology
- Presidency University
- Dr. Ambedkar institute of Technology
- Jain University
- Dayananda Sagar College of Engineering
- Siddaganga Institute of Technology
- The minimum score (CUT OFF) of KCET varies every year which is decided by the Authority.
- The candidates who secured above the cut off enter the merit list.
- Cut off Percentage distribution – General: 50%, General OPH: 45%, OBC/SC/ST: 40%
- The KCET score will be valid for 1 year.
- Once the result is declared, the qualified students can proceed to document verification on the allotted date.
- Then, students will be given verification slip and in which their choices of colleges and courses have to be entered based on their preference.
- Considering the rank in their merit, choices and the availability of seats, you will be confirmed for a seat.
- After that, you can proceed for the admission process in the allotted college on the given date.
As we are still in the midst of coronavirus outbreak, this is as good a time as any to ramp up the preparation process. Here are some preparation tips for you:
- Understand the topics completely so that any twist or trick in the question will not bother you.
- Divide your time for learning, practicing and revising. Don’t obsess over one part of the process. An equal share of each is vital to succeed.
- There are many online mock tests to practice for KCET 2020. Make use of it. An added benefit is that you will learn to manage your time from now on.
- Sleep well, focus on the preparation and don’t stray towards unnecessary online activities. Bear in mind that this is for only a few days.
Still looking for more guidance? PlanEdu is here to help. Connect over a call and we will help you to a great length. Also, if you would like to enhance your career search & planning, we can assist you for that too. As we have championed the art of career guidance in the span of 12 years, we can point which is good for you or otherwise and help you pick the best college. Call us and do the career planning right away!